Thursday, December 2, 2010

August 10th, 1862


August 10th 1862

10th Ohio battery, 6th Division, Army of the Tennessee, Corinth, Tishomingo County, Mississippi

Charlie to Mollie, Edgar, and Elmer

Dear Mollie,
It has been but a day or two since I wrote you a few lines, but again I feel somewhat lonesome this Sabbath morning. I will try to have a little chat with the woman I love though I have to speak at a great distance and shall have to wait several days for your reply. My dear wife I never feel so well content as when I am trying to give pleasure to the ones that I love. I do sometimes get very homesick and long for the time when we shall be again united in a happy and unbroken family. Rest assured dear Mol. That I will
Come home to you the first opportunity that offers and although our political sky is very cloudy and the prospect for a speedy peace looks dismal, yet I think there is clear sky ahead and that the war will be over and we shall be at home much sooner than most people are expecting.
I am glad to learn that the government is going to drafting and if there is going to be a war at home in consequence, I should like well to be there, for I would sooner fight Rebels at home, than abroad. But I rather think that when the proper authority comes around to those who say they will fight before they will go into the service, they will cool down. Some of the cowardly traitorous scamps may run away to avoid the draft, but justice will overtake them in the end.
You say father wanted you to go down there to live, if you feel like going, I want you to go and if I don’t get home before winter I think you had better go anyhow, but if you can get along till after the corn cutting and potato digging and feel safe in staying there, perhaps it would be as well for you to stay. For it may so happen that I shall be home before cold weather. I hope so at any rate, I expect you had better sell the calves and anything else that you can spare, but I leave that altogether to yourself, but I would not advise you to undertake to keeping too much livestock through winter. One more thing I will want to caution you about, don’t sell anything on credit unless you sell to somebody that be pretty sure to pay you. If you are not satisfied as to what anything is worth try and get some of the Whites to tell you, as I believe they would be as likely to know the value of property as anybody in the neighborhood and they would be likely to give you good counsel as anybody else.
I have never heard whether John Moore went into that Palsy home or not. Where does Smith’s folks live and what is he doing for a living? If he happens to be drafted into the service, he will wish that he had come when I did. I wrote sometime ago to Jesse White concerning that converse note, but I have not got any answer from him yet. Do you know anything about it? I am anxious to have that note collected and Mr. James paid off so as to secure our little home if we lose all the rest. Simon Price holds a order of five dollars against me and if he comes around and wants to buy anything that you have to sell you may take the order.
Dear Mollie, I gather from Aunt Ann’s letter that you worry a good deal about me, I know dear wife that it is natural for us to feel uneasy about our friends when we are absent or separated, but I do hope you will not borrow any unnecessary trouble about me. I am doing much better that I expected when I left home, I have now and then spells of being unwell, but I have not been worse than I used to be at home and thought nothing of it hardly here. When I am unwell all I have to do is to lie still and get well again.
Indeed I have often thought that if we had more to do we should enjoy better health. Now if I could hear from my family once a week and hear they are well and doing well, I should get along first rate. So now dear good wife keep up your courage and show to your traitorous and weak kneed neighbors that you are a patriot and are willing to make some sacrifice for you country.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment