Tuesday, December 28, 2010

February 20th, 1865


Head Quarters 3rd Brigade 1st Division, 23 O.C.
Feb. 20th 1865

Dear Mollie
At Last I have the extreme pleasure of informing you that I have at last got back to head quarters and found all right. I reported to Col. (now Brigadier) Thomas, who greeted me with a hearty shake of the hand and bid me welcome. I found all the boys in good spirits. Eli Meeks is in the hospital in a pretty bad fix, has fits.
We are now aboard a steamship and I don’t know how soon we will leave, so I can’t write much. When we get through I will write again. Give my love to the children, kiss the baby and Elmer and imagine a thousand for yourself.
Yours affectionately
C.M. Adams

This is the only letter from his second tour of duty. The 174th fought at the battle of Overall's Creek and Wyse Forks, I will research those battles as well. This letter was written from Washington City (Washington D.C.) the day before he left for North Carolina.

Pic Source

1 comment:

  1. Elias Meeks, 20 years old.

    Enlisted on 2/1/1865 as a Private.

    On 2/1/1865 he mustered into "G" Co. OH 185th Infantry

    ReplyDelete