Sunday, December 12, 2010

November 20th, 1862



(La Grange Seminary Grand Junction, Tennessee, 1862)

Camp near Grand Junction Tennesse Nov. 20th, 1862
Dear, Mary,
I received your kind letter of the 14th today. You said nothing about your health, but from what you say you were doing, I infer that you were not very ill. I am sorry that you have to do such hard work and hope the time is not far distant when your fence building will not be required.
I have not heard from Darby by letter since I left Corinth, and presume that your news from there was later than any that I have received. I am very sorry to hear mother or any of the rest of my friends talk so discouragingly about the war. I can but think that our cause is just, and that it will eventually succeed. At least my faith is yet unshaken and I fell so much like pushing the war to the bitter end, as ever I did. I do think that some of our officers do not push the war with the vigor that they might, yet I think that they are making some progress, and that rebellion is growing weaker every day. I am still insist on coming home, leaving the service entirely.
Well Mollie, perhaps you see things in another light than what I do, I think that if we can succeed in putting down this rebellion, I can confer in way a richer legacy on my children and children’s children than by expending my best effort in assisting to put it down. However, I intend to go home sometime this winter, that is, if I can get my pay, and leave to go. We think that we will get our pay now in a few days, but of course there is nothing certain known about it. I am glad to learn that you are so well fixed to live this winter, that is if you are determined to stay there this winter. I would like so well to you and the children, especially little Elmer. I can’t understand why he cannot walk yet, he is now 15 months old, certainly old enough to walk. Did you have any difficulty in weaning him? Did he fret much? Or did you suffer any inconvenience?
You say that you would like to have me there to boss the fencing. Well I don’t doubt but that I should have enjoyed your company very well, but from what I can learn you are managing things full as well as if I were there, perhaps better. Well dear Moll. It is getting late and I must quit soon in order to get this letter in the mail to night. I must say a few words Aunt Ann, and then close so good night, write soon,
Milt.
Dear Aunt, I take this opportunity to answer the question. Why I call you Coz., My answer is you began it, and I returned the compliment. At first I supposed it was a mistake on your part, but you persisted, and I took it for a pleasant joke, and carried it on as such. So far as I am concerned, I am willing to be called cousin, nephew, uncle, or what not. So I am soon called to meet a happy cheerful family and circle of friends at my own home away up there on Bushcreek.
Will the explanation satisfy you? I shall look with some impatience for the promised letter.
Mitt.

A word to Edgar,
Well Edgar, I am always glad to get you letters. I hope you will make good use of the new book that mother got for you, and I hope that your Sucsesh pants will keep you warm. I want you to continue writing to me,
Good night,
Father

Pic Source

No comments:

Post a Comment